Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Chris Nolan: Tension and Release


I think my strongest creative inspiration would be film director, Christopher Nolan; who has directed films such as Memento, The Prestige, and Batman Begins. His two latest works, The Dark Knight, and Inception, really sent my mind to another place though. With Inception, the atmosphere and world that Nolan created took the audience to a place they had never been before, which is no easy task. I believe I share this particular aspiration with Nolan. Being in video production and minoring in film, I want to create a completely original idea, or character, that will take my audience to a place they have never been or introduce them to a character they’ve never met. Nolan is a master of tension and release, as well. He knows exactly how to grab the audience and shake them until they can’t stand it, then brings them screeching back to reality. This particular link I have posted is the final scene of Inception, (spoiler alert). This particular scene provides a release both for the intense action sequence that precedes it, and for the entire film. Accompanied by a poignant score by my  favorite composer, Hans Zimmer; it really embodies the entire drive of the film. I would show the entire scene, but it is rather long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UR0J8cNrxc

No comments:

Post a Comment